Monday, May 15, 2006

Potato Flour


What the heck do you do with potato flour? My Mother gave me this huge bag full and said it was good. Usually, she tells me what to do but I was in a hurry to leave. My Mom always throws extra things into my car after a visit! I love her! So potato flour is...a flour made from potatoes. It has no gluten so is great for those Celiacs in your life. Hmm. Celiacs and Celicas can't eat what! hahaha.


Where was I? Thank the Lord I can eat wheat. That is a hard disease to live with. Now, back to potato flour. So in one of my Freebird moments I decided to use potato flour for a pizza dough recipe. Yes, I was out of wheat flour. The result was a wonderful, tasty bread. It was dense because of the lack of gluten in the flour but it was so good! Here is my recipe:


Potato Flour Sticks
2 C Potato Flour
1 pack quick rise yeast
1 teas. salt (little more)
2 teas. Olive Oil
3/5 C warm water
Combine flour, yeast and salt and stir in warm water and oil until blended. Knead dough until smooth. Let rest for 15 minutes. (yeah right... get to rolling!) Roll portions of dough and cut into long strips, braid, spritz with olive oil or egg wash. Bake 350 degrees for 8 minutes.
SWEET: when braiding spread some jam in and sprinkle with sugar
SAVORY: sprinkle granulated garlic onto braided sticks. Maybe some black pepper too...try curry powder...even paprika! FREE BIRD COOKING!

No comments: