Sunday, June 04, 2006

Guess What I found?





That's right! More Field Mushrooms! I was walking to work and there they were! A whole family! I picked one and took it to work to show my co-workers. My boss was a little worried about me eating for lunch - but I was 100% sure I would not die! Toasted the cap and had it in my ham sandwich. (With Conola based mayo and sueann friendly english muffin bread!) It was superb! I got a call from my husband, who was walking home. He said there was a mushroom massacre! The spot where I found the crop was shredded! NO! Note to self: Pick them when you see them. On my way home I stopped by to pay my respects to my lunch's relatives. From a distance I could see large bits of their caps mangled on the freshly mowed lawn. I thought that if only the gardener knew what he was missing. Then I saw the survivors! 4 large caps that barely made it under the mowers blades! YES! Further down the street I came upon another crop! I asked the home owner if I could have them. She said yes and wished me well. She said she took mycology years ago too! But she obviously forgot about these fine edibles! I brought home at least 10 large portobella sized mushrooms! We grilled them up and had a side of steak! I made this chinchilli sauce. Love the name.

Chincilli sauce:
1 C olive oil
1/2 C parsley
4 cloves garlic crushed and diced
2 Tbl. Lime juice
salt, pepper and crushed chili peppers to taste.

I marinated the steak in the sauce and they were great! I also made a fresh batch of chinchilla sauce for the potatoes! The mushrooms were fabulous grilled!

No comments: